Thursday, May 05, 2005

The Creeds of the Church

In much of today's Christian literature there is the call for the church to speak with a prophetic voice in the public square. At present I am taking a look at the minor prophet Amos who has much to say about such issues. As I was browsing the bloggers of the web I came accross a submission in "cross Blogging" which is not entirely off the issue. It was asking a number of questions but one was raised due to the election of the new pope and by the poublication of his first homily and the question was asked about the place and value of the Creds of the church in equipping the faithful to become mature in Christ.I have read Benedict's homily and have to confess thast there is little in it which I disagree with- but I am not happy to go with a faith which is based upon the creeds of the church. The creeds of history have prooved to be very helpful for us all but we need to realise that they have their limits simply because they do not carry the same authority as scripture [scriptua sola]. Whjen I read the homily I wondered if he was actually saying thae same thing in a different way- if we rely on the creeds of the church alone will we not remain immature and childish which is the very opposite of what scripture says and what Benedict's objective is- i.e making Adults. He wants Christian maturity and which of us would be against that? He is right to say that a "faith which is deeply rooted in friendship with Christ is adult and mature. It is this frindship which opens us up to all that is good and gives us knowledge to judge truth from evil...."
I welcome this but am a little confused.










0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Northern Irish Blogs.
t shirts
Free Web Page Counters
t shirts
Link